Monday, May 17, 2010

Unseasonable

So today - I pull up to the light at Woodlawn and Manchester on my way to work and sit there for about 30 seconds or more. This car pulls up on my left in the turn lane and behind the wheel is the 80 plus year old lady, gray hair, and a hearing aid the size of baseball. She motions to me. I pull out my headphones (yeah, I know it's not safe - Shut the f -up) as she rolls down her window. She than says, in an mean old lady voice "I can't see you - you need to wear brighter clothes!" OK - the time - 7:30 in the morning, so it's light out, I am wearing a bright red Chrome backpack, my Hub jacket with bright green, a helmet with a blinky light, and my bike is so neon fucking orange that it glows in the dark - plus I have my blue blinky skull lights on the wheels! Gotta love the orange fender!

Commuting has been good times. I have picked up Adam Eaton as a riding buddy, which has been cool when we meet up. Last Friday, I met up with Adam, Andy and Alex at 6:00 in the morning for a longer ride.
I broke off and made it to work. This was a blast. My weeks have been really steady and constant. My riding and weight has also plateaued. I do feel good and seem to riding stronger than I was - so I will keep it up. Since my night class is over, I joined Andy, Alex, Joe and Tyler for a night ride on Tuesday. This was also a blast. We headed down to Forrest Park, rode around and rode home.

As far as active rides, I have ridden Tuesday and Thursday after school pretty aggressive with Michael and Jeff. Michael informed everyone that he will not be returning to work next year - this has extremely bummed me out. Kate Lincoff has been showing up regularly - which has been really cool. Four people make these rides super fun.

Hub rides - Last Saturday - I got stuck behind Mark and his wife on the tandem going up the hill on Ladue Road when they got a flat. I came to almost a complete stop along with Mathew, Phil and somebody else. Noone in front of the tandem stopped and the group got split - AHHHH - I lost contact with Mathew and Phil and it turned onto a mostly alone ride - WTF. This past Saturday I bagged on riding because it was so cold and wet. I also bagged on Sunday for the same reason. The rain has been pretty much non-stop and it has been unseasonably cold.
Last Wednesday was my first Wed. Night ride. I could not make the start because I had a late meeting, so I met the ride half way through. I had my Jake with my pack on so I was worrited if I could keep up - but I did! It was a blast - I have missed this ride.

One of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld was when Krammer adopts the highway and re-paints the highway from 4 lanes to two - to create a more pleasurable driving experience. When they changed Hwy 44 from 4 lanes to 5 lanes a few years ago, They had this huge lane for small time period while they restriped, it was like a one and half normal lane. It was so wide, it created a pleasurable driving experience. Now that they are changing the lanes back to four - My hope was that they would do this again - and they did - Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment