Monday, April 12, 2010

Puttin In Da Miles

What a nice week. The weather could not be nicer in St. Lou. We are talking about nice crisp mornings and afternoons in the high 70's low 80's! That has bike weather written all over it and I was up to the challenge.

The Week in review.

On Monday I commuted my balls off - 40 plus mile commute! Felt great - This commuting thing is rocking. I am feeling really strong when I ride.

Tuesday - Bagged TNW and rode with Andy at the Alpine Shop ride. A few other guys where there that I know like Jeff Kelly. I thought this was going to be a slower ride but it turned out to be a squirrelly quasi-hammerfest. The route kindof sucked. It had so many turns and stops that I swear to you I could not repeat this ride if I tried. By the time we turned one corner, the back was just turning the previous corner. The ride opened up a few times, and although it had efforts (the hill up Kirkham and Old Doughtey Ferry), it was doable. I was able to move from the back third to near the front easily. The ride picked up when we went DOWN Marshall (interesting with about 50 people) and than up Old Doughtey Ferry - which is a great hill climb to tempo on. While going down Marshall - the crosswind was so strong, and I was riding my Reynold's Carbons, that the wheel started to shake - not fun. I don't think I would recommend this ride due to the stop/turns and some squirrelly riding - but I may do it again because it is close and it is fun to pass slow people on hill climbs (kindof a dick thing to say, I know - but it is).

Wednesday - Commuted everywhere

Thursday - Rode to work. Got an email from Andy wanting to do some riding in the evening. Matthew, Andy and I met at the shop and went out on a nice easy pace ride - super cool. Took Adams to Geyer to Bopp to Clayton to Mason South to Doughety Ferry to Sugar Creek/Adams. The only rule was I had to be home by 7:00 to watch SURVIVOR! Which was done almost to the minute.

Friday - Commuted

The Weekend - Bagged out on racing for Hillsboro and Tilles Park. Hillsboro sucks. I know people love this road race and it is part of the Nature Valley Series but I have done nothing but suffer on this race. I have never made it to the second lap and it has always become a 30 mile tour for me AHHHH just thinking about it makes me want to vomit. The only highlight was Devon Clark - what a skinny assed beast. Placed 15th in the 1-2's. Robbie Ventura raced this one and Devin, basically teamless, still came in top 15 - impressive. All my other buds tanked - which is no big deal at this race. Tilles - I do like Tilles - my best result ever - but I have not raced this in two years. Reason - very tight and twisty and because of no hills - a very tight pack. Major wrecks in the Masters (2 ambulances) Shout out to Chuck Pass for the collarbone (super good guy) and two major wrecks in the pro1-2. There were also some super close calls in the 3-4's, which I would have raced if I did not have puss-itis. For a better version on the fucked -up nature of Tilles - read Bill's Blog.
Saturday - Rode the Hub ride - felt great. The pack was large as not many went to Hillsboro and the pace started off slow. On Clayton it picked up dramatically. When we hit Conway, Dived Mark had A LOT of stored up energy and laid it out. When we got to the top, there were only seven of us! You could not even see anybody else. We took the short way so guys could scout out Tilles. When we finished, Kevin, Brayn and myself rode the route backwards until we met the group. After that I headed to the Bread Co. with Phil and Todd. I could tell I am feeling stronger and lighter with every passing week.

Sunday - Rode Knucklehead with Matt McLaughlin. Pace was faster than usual going out and nice fast-paced tempo coming back. Going out, this bus drove next to uskeeping our pace for over a mile plus - it was very odd. Mark Gorski rode this ride - the guy is a powerhouse! and drove the pace coming back (yeah - he wore his US Postal Jersey! and no I didn't get a picture).
Later that day I went to Tilles to root on my fellow team-mates in the 3/4 race - Chris Miller called the race in the beginning and came in fourth - way to go! Bhatti has a roster spot for you! It was nice to watch the raceand drink beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment