Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Off the bike - On the bike

Well - true to my word, I missed the St. Louis Cup to watch my darling children. Because this is a cycling blog - I'll skip any details of my time with them - although I did have fun (I can kick ass at kickball - OK, I was playing a 5 and 7 year old). The Hub was represented at the three races - Devin was a stud - 2nd place in the 3's and the 4's were playas. The ladies team did well and Stephanie (blog follower) took honors by winning the omnium! Hey, she did all three races and rocked and my ass got fat by doing zero. Great job Devin and Stephanie.

Back to the grind. Tuesday I went for a ride after work - and I almost died. I took my cross bike because of the weather - which lately has been throwing the chain to the outside for some reason. We were cranking down the outer road hills at about 32 mph - I was pulling - and Michael came around me into the smaller hill. I pushed hard and my chain came flying off. Somehow I got my foot unclipped and kept my balance as I fell forward. Jeff, who was behind me, said it was wild to see. Minor tinkering and I think I fixed the problem. I ebay won my WCS carbon post last week and I am waiting for it to arrive - were the hell is it!

The Wed. night Hub throwdown - aka let's kick Chris in the nut sack until a trickle of blood comes out his eyeballs - did not disappoint. Tons of guys - around thirty I guess. Pace started out fast and kept strong the whole ride. This new guy from out of state was there and I started out with him. He seemed nice and he said he moved here and this was his first throwdown. I told him the ride was kind of aggressive but fun - his response was no big deal. Wrong answer. I do not where he disappeared - but it happened pretty fast. I told him! Average 21.7

Now for those of you who have never ridden this - this is on roads with traffic, stops, hills, and includes warm-up and cool down (not much of either!) I felt great the entire ride and stayed with the ride the entire way. I briefly fell off at the steep hill under the highway, but quickly caught back on. My biggest hurdle has been the steep hill headed West on Conway. I would be so blown-up on that hill that I would be pushed to the back of the pack for Conway and then,being unable to recover, would fall off on Conway. Although I always caught up, I hated falling off and I knew where the problem was. So tonight, as we approached the hill, I was mentally stoked and I cruised up the hill and kept good position. For Conway, I was in the mix and cruised up - Unfortunately I got stuck behind Yo=Yo who can't ride a straight line if someone threatened to cut off his dick - which forced me to work even harder than just hanging on and sitting in (Which is tough to do!) David Mark got on the front and I looked down and my speed said 24 mph - no shit! To pull that speed is studville. Once again, I was happy to hang on. The ride was a success as I finished!

I saw a post from a fellow Hubber on the message board who said they quit doing this ride because it was sketchy - running stop signs, etc. You know - I disagree. The location is not the best, but hey, It's were I live and I don't have to commute or worse, drive, to ride my f'ing bike. The ride is mostly all racers - from studs to suck-asses - and it has the intensity of a competitive ride. I like this attitude. 30 plus riders at 6:00 in the evening is bound to piss off some drivers, and when we go through the stop signs in Kirkwood, we stop and go through as a group, so the fact some people I do not know, get pissed at me because the are 3.8 seconds put out - fuck them - I mean really, fuck them. I could care less - they hated me already.

Judy rode with Team Rev and gave me a full report of their ride. She keeps doing better and better. She rode with Hubbers Stephanie, Kate, and Alice and a few others and had a great time.
Our new uniforms came in and I talked with Ron and bought Judy a Hub racing jersey. She will be stylin' now! Looking forward to century number #1.

The weather is calling for solid rain = I thinking no riding tomorrow after work with Michael and Jeff- 90% chance of t-storms. I'm sad = My dominatrix conscience will not be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment