Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beer, Chicks, Bikes, a Douche and a Missed Race

The weekend review:

I was unable to ride on Thursday - bad weather and my kid had a lot of homework.

Friday - I met up with Judy, Cory, and Andy and we rode to the Trailnet Happy Hour at Ice and Fuel in Kirkwood. It was kind of a crappy evening - but we had a great time. I kicked back 5 pints of the Blue Moon and was feeling pretty good.

Highlights included pissing off Judy by wearing her jeans (hey, I was cold - and I looked good - I will tell you, chick jeans have a tiny zipper, so if you decide to wear chick jeans, make sure you unbutton before you pee - Franks and Beans) and Cory's creative use of Chocolate Mint - Details, Andy and I demand details, dammit!

Saturday Hub Ride
Great ride. I was feeling a little hung over from Friday - Judy and I went out after the Happy Hour - but I was still feeling OK. There were a lot of people there for the ride - and the pace began on the pretty relaxed side - I was not complaining. The we hit Geyer Hill and the pace picked up dramatically. By the time we hit Clayton headed West - the ride took on a serious tone - guys began dropping off like crazy. Conway Hill and the outer roads became brutal. The overall average was 20.7 - super fast for a Saturday ride. By the end, the ride was seriously whittled down.
I rode fine the entire ride, but I need to start pushing myself to pull - I'm just afraid that I will gas myself and fall off. Wed. is out of the question, but I think I need to start working myself up to front. For the sprint, I got behind Chris Miller who jumped right away. Bill, Greg and a Big Shark guy went with Chris. I came in 4th I think. It was a pretty fun ride. Got home in time for Judy to go riding with Cory. Judy has been feeling very sick - and she felt miserable on her ride :(

OK - I wrote about the Beer, Chicks and the Bike - Now for the Douche - So we finish the ride and a are chilling out at The Hub and this guy calls Ron about a tandem (he sells Comotion) - but he is looking for a used one to save money - so Ron is out of the question. So Ron says that I have one and might be looking to get rid of it. I love the tandem, but with the kids, Judy and I don't get a lot of chances to ride it anymore - We have a Cannondale RT1000 - around 1999 or so - and I'm not looking to sell it, but I thought I would ask a grand, pretty fair to low price, but the money would be nice. This guy calls me and I explain the bike to him in detail: Components, frame, paint, age, gears, etc. The Douche does not ride and explaining things to him was painful. Example... ME: So, the bike is complete except for pedals. Douche: It doesn't have peddles? ME: Well, no, I mean, I don;t know what shoes you wear Douche: What do you mean, how does the bike not have peddles? ME: I don;t know what type of cleats you have Douche: Oh, I don't ride clip in peddles, I wear tennis shoes. ME: Well, I'll get some platforms...asshole.

So I explain the bike in detail and he wants to see it today. I have plans, but hey, the money would be cool. So I set up a time of 3:00 at The Hub. Douche shows up with his wife - and I go through this whole deal, and all he keeps on saying is, we have never really seen one and we wanted to look at it. I say, wouldn't you like to test ride it - they say they are afraid to ride it on the road or up any hills -they have only ridden on the Katy Trail and have rented one once- SSSHHHIIITTT! - So we walk the bike over to a parking lot and they get on the thing and tootle around the parking lot - I had to turn my head because I thought they might go down. They finish and the guy once again says he really just wanted to see one. He said he did not like the road bars and wanted a straight bar (which I told him what bars the bike had)! So they talk to Ron about what it would cost to trade out bars and then they finally leave.

OK - so here it goes... I am not a fucking bike shop. I wasted a big part of my Saturday for this douche - the middle of the day. I did not get to Mesa's re-opening to see the electronic Dura Ace, the Alpine Shop swap sale or Gringo Jones. I told him what the bike was, in detail. I went through the parts, frame, everything. For its age, which he knew, the bike is pretty cherry. So, I did not waste my day for you to look at my bike. God, what an asshole - I hate this douche!

Sylvan Srings Crit was today - but I could not go. Family first - my daughter's 1st communion was today (she looked so cute) so the race was obviously out. No big deal - Sylvan is one hard ass crit for a suck-ass like me.

2 comments: