Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Down on Luck Drunk in Shock Treatment (Dura-Ace, that is)

Must say - this week has had little to do with actual cycling. It became such a super busy week that cycling had to take a backseat - keeping me in a perpetual state of suck-assing.

Monday - took the day off and tried to fix up my lawn.
Tuesday - Kid Stuff at their school - No riding after work or World Championships Cits.

Wednesday - Finally, on the bike! Did The Hub Throwdown and it did not disappoint. The ride was brutally fast - and I was tired and sore from the gardening - I guess I'm getting old. The ride was super fast as always and I was feeling pretty good but I new I was struggling by giving more effort than usual. I stayed with the ride until Conway when I fell off the back - not far - but I was smoked. I was hoping I would catch back on at the Ballas light - but no luck for me. As I crested the hill, the light turned and I could not catch it. Adam Eaton was right in front of me and he missed it too. We turned on Ballas and cut up to Clayton to try to catch them - but no such luck - the pace was too quick. Adam and I rode the rest of the ride back to the shop. Although it was the first ride I have truly been dropped on this year, I had a good ride, nonetheless.

Wednesday night - After the ride it was Poker Night at The Hub. A good time - especially for a Wed. night when I have to work the next day! This isn't bet the farm poker - a $10 buy in keeps you with a good two to three hours of fun. I got those 16oz Bud Light Limes (um, um, good) and kicked back the four pack. I was feeling pretty good (if you know what I mean) and I was like, I just had four beers WTF - then I started thinking - maybe close to a six pack (ouch)!

My end came in dramatic fashion: The table: A, 3, 4, 5, with one card left. I had the 6 and 7! I'm like - Oh Yeah. The pot became huge and I was playing it cool. The last card came - and it was a 3. Still have the straight - I go all in ($5.60 - huge, I know). Two other guys stayed with me - a huge pot. We put our cards down - Bitch tits - out. Me - a straight. Dave Smith - two fours = Son of a bitch - that gave him three 4's and the damn pair on the board = A Full House - Shit, I'm now drunk and with no luck!

Thursday - Could not ride
Friday - Could not ride
Saturday - I can ride - however, I hosted a huge work party, so needless to say, instead of riding the Saturday morning Hub ride, I spent my morning praying to the porcelain god. My kid had a birthday party by Mesa and I was finally able to get in and check out the electronic shifting Dura-Ace - one word - awesome.

So, I end this with a plea: Since I am down on my luck, drunk, and Dave Smith has all my money - Can someone give me $5000 so I can new components!

Oh - John Kozad is left Velocity and is working at MESA! Good to see him again. John is heck of a nice guy and was a major player in acquiring parts to start my fixed gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment