Saturday, May 16, 2009

Judy's First Century - Indian Crossing

Today I experienced a wonderful day cycling with Judy. I am totally proud of her accomplishment!

Indian Crossing: The story of the day - Wind, Wind, and more f'ing wind!
Here is a crappy picture of the wind-


We began in a slight rain and horrible wind - from Portage Des Sioux ready for Judy to ride her first century


It seemed like every direction except one - we were getting pounded by the wind. Still we pushed on. I felt great the whole day and we peddled at a nice, easy pace.

The first 65 miles, Judy and I peddled through with little problems - except for the head winds. I tried to block as best as I could. After lunch, the last 35 miles was a chore - we started out directly into the wind and seemed to never stop. At some points, it was like hitting a wall. Nonetheless, we kept pushing forward - there was no quitting in Judy's plan! At .12 miles shy of 101 miles, we finished her first century!


The big question for me was what bike do I choose - race bike out of question - fixed gear - thought about it - I even ordered a single speed 15 cog so I could set the flip-flop hub so I could coast. In the end I chose my cross bike - Jake the Snake - with road tires - good call. I chose this bike because I was worried about a single speed in the wind!

This ended up being a really nice day - not one bit of problems with riding together. I kept my pace in check and comments mostly positive and helpful - and my fat ass blocking the wind. Judy's attitude to the whole event was super positive and bent on completing the ride. The highlight of the day was actually talking about exercising, especially her arms - She wants to slim down her arms and I gave her some great exercises she can start working on. The low point - with almost no sun - Judy got roasted! I wore a jacket with the sleeves pushed up to right below my elbows and I have the goofiest arm tan (worse than the farmers we saw today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment