Sunday, March 15, 2009

Forest (FO) Park (PO)

Forest Park recap - One of my favorite crits.

As I rolled up for my race, I must say I was a tad nervous. I feel fast, especially after Wed. night - yet, it was the first crit of the year and I missed Tuesday night. I made sure I registered with my Master Says Faster t-shirt! What put me at ease was my posse. The Hub was stacked at this race: David, Mark, Adam, Michael P, Bryan, Eric S, Kevin, and BillH. Bill wrote a post on STL Biking about the 3's Dream Team - I want to add to it with the 4's Dream Team. The Hub controlled the race. The Hub was always in the front, off the front, making guys drop like flies off the back! It was awesome to be with everyone - This should be a great race season.

I felt great at the start of the race - the pace seemed very fast. I was up front for most of the first part of the race - The Hub was grouped together nicely - at one point I took a corner tight on the inside and I said "on your inside" which would mean trouble, and then I added "Kevin" It is good to have friends. One dude during the race said to me - "On the inside" - to which I replied - "Not a good choice!" as I rode him tight! Do not cheat your way up - you know what I'm sayin'. I definitely hit the wall around minute 14 and I drifted to the back of the pack. It took a lap to catch my breathe and my second wind. I quickly moved back to top quarter. The race was pretty clean except for a couple of sketchy guys, especially across the S-curves on the bridges - the dude I'm thinking about wore a Lindenwood jersey - (yeah, I'm calling you out for sketchy riding!) As we were coming through the S-curves, which is right before the straight away of the finish line, we had one lap to go and these dudes collide (Lindenwood dude, I think) right next to me and push wide - I slam my breaks because we were going down and my bike fishtails because of the carbon wheels. I somehow recover, but I have to sprint up to the group in the headwind. I caught to the back of the group, but I was smoked! And thus, nothing for the end. I was so pissed because I had so much in me for the final lap. The race was great - the ending sucked! Oh yeah, the Lindenwood dude was laying on the street in the final turn with two other guys!

Props go out to the entire team. Nine started, Nine finished - all looked strong throughout the race. This is what you want. I saw David off the front most of the race, Michael P. tried to sprint off the front in the final lap, Adam took a prime, and Bryan came in 5th! A good day!

The heard the ladies did great, Ethan finished the 5's, I saw Bulldog Mark in the Masters, and I missed the 3's.

No comments:

Post a Comment