Tuesday, March 31, 2009

To Florida and Back

Well my trip with the family to Destin is over - I have survived! I could tell all about the 14 hour drive in a small car with two kids or hanging out on the beach with with several Bud Light Limes - but the real story was the cycling. I did bring my bike on the journey and had a few opportunities to ride. No, I did not see this, Although I looked for it!
The big shop ride in the area was Robbin's Bike Shop in Destin.

Aside from my following commentary and snide remarks that are sure to come, it was a good ride with nice people who are used to tourists.
A few funny things about the ride. First, they make you sign a waiver before the ride. Second, who the fuck puts tile down in the main part of a bike shop. Yes, needless to say, after I sign the waiver, I use the bathroom, and when I exit, my foot slips right out from under me. Then I try to catch my balance as I am now going down - I reach out a grab some dude to upright myself before I crash to the floor. The "Robbin's" guys, all present and watching me, were talking about Lance crashing - and then conversation turns to me crashing - AHHHH. Ok, so the ride starts. Chuck from St. Louis was there, which was really cool (he rides for Velo, I think). I will say, this is safest group ride I have ever been on. At a stop sign, everyone stops. I made sure I put a foot down at every stop - no track stand bullshit.

Throughout the ride, the group would pull over and let cars pass if we were backing up traffic! The third funny fact is the ride has a pecking order. The ride was not that fast - I brought my cross bike (with road tires) - everybody on the ride, even the tourists, had the most tricked out bikes I have seen on a group ride - I thought I was at a race - everyone was on full carbon, mostly Orbea, with Zipp 404 - I mean everyone. I had the only non-carbon bike and the only bike under a couple of grand. So on the ride, the "Robbin's" guys all rode up front in a pace line. It was clear that, as a visitor, you were not allowed up front. At one point, this older dude, who kind of sucked in a pace line had problems shifting and I pulled through. He made a big point to come around me and resume his position - hilarious. There was also this really fast loop of three miles, and Chuck and I joked about winning it - but Robbin made it clear who was going to lead the loop! Oh well, no Florida trophy. The final funny part was at mile 24, the whole ride stopped at Starbucks and Robbin bought everyone in the group coffee - It was so cool, and at the same time surreal.

I will tell you, after coffee, that last 6 miles was somewhat painful. All in all, I know I'm a dick, the shop rocks and I give the ride a thumbs up.

I am now back in St. Louis and welcome back to reality - where is the sun, the warm weather - were the hell are these chicks!

It is rainy, cold and on Sunday it snowed - I kid you not!
I was unable to ride on Saturday or Sunday. Monday night I did the night ride with Adam Eaton and his brother "Chain Breaker." The most interesting piece of news is CB is not only getting married, but met his soon to be father-in-law. Not only did he meet him, he also saw the man's nut-sack - yes, the young man saw his soon to be father-in-law's balls. Now, by Missouri law, he not only has to marry the daughter, but also the dad - Congratulations!

Tuesday I went for an easy ride after school - shy of 20 miles and then tonight was Tuesday Night Crits - my first one of the year. I did just fine - no prizes or glory, remember the title, I Suck Ass, buy I finished with the main field - acceptable. I was feeling great and was actually thinking about doing something in the final three laps. Eric S. came along side me and asked how I felt - "great" was my reply - and then in the 2nd to last lap, I just blew up and could make no move - Oh well - It was great to be out there - Kevin, Bill H, Eric, Mark, Greg and Alice representing the ladies. The best part was Judy and the kids showed up and cheered for me! I love my family (except after a 14 hour drive in a small fucking car!)

No comments:

Post a Comment